Learn new and traditional hat-making techniques taught by Louise Macdonald, who has 30 years of millinery experience.
- Make your own designer hat.
- Create a stylish head piece or fascinator for races or wedding wear.
- Learn all about flower designs.
- Discover secrets of costume millinery!
Receive information about the millinery courses by email.
Louise Macdonald Milliner offers three types of millinery courses:
1. Live streaming courses – view millinery courses available
- Delivery: Classes are presented online using the Zoom platform. Workshops can be watched on a portable device or desktop computer – go to Zoom's Download Center to install its software or mobile app (a meeting invitation is sent to students following registration and payment).
- Class size: Maximum of 12 students per session (to help you feel connected with others in this online learning experience).
- Materials: Participants are sent a list on registration and need to source them from local suppliers (recommendations can be given if needed and ribbons are sold online).
- Handouts: Notes are provided to assist you with the learning experience.
2. Online courses (on demand) – view millinery courses available
- Pre-recorded online courses can be watched 24/7 on Hat Academy's website.
- Millinery students can learn how to create their hats in their own time and pace.
- Registration and payments are made directly on Hat Academy's website.
3. Face-to-face courses in Melbourne (occasionally in Sydney and Queensland) – view millinery courses available
- Students are required to observe the 2-square metre "rule" between participants.
- Students are required to apply hand sanitiser on entering and leaving the millinery studio, and before using any shared items: steamers, irons, sewing machines and the toilet key.
- 70% alcohol cleanser will be readily available for further cleaning of the equipment and surfaces.
- If any student feels slightly unwell, they must not come to the course.
- Each millinery course has a reduced number of participants in line with the Victoria Government social distancing requirements and to ensure individual attention.
- Location / venue – Room 3, 8th floor, 37 Swanston Street (corner of Swanston Street and Flinders Lane), Melbourne (view location on Google Maps).
- Participants are sent a list of materials list required for the course on registration.
Terms and conditions
- Louise Macdonald Milliner retains all intellectual property rights in relation to design, content and techniques taught in the courses. You are not authorised to copy, reproduce, sell, upload, record, post, transmit or distribute any of the course
- Louise Macdonald Milliner will not be liable for any damages or injuries arising out of use of materials, equipment or techniques taught in the courses. It is the students' responsibility to read and comply with the safety data sheets and occupational health and safety guidelines from the manufacturers of the materials and equipment they are using.
Payment (live streaming and face-to-face courses only)
- Online – By secure online payment (Visa, MasterCard or PayPal), using our online form (read about security).
- By telephone – By credit card (Visa or MasterCard) or direct deposit by phone (03 9650 1352).
- In person – By credit card (Visa or MasterCard), EFTPOS or cash.
Note: Your participation in the millinery course(s) is confirmed only after the payment is received.
Registration / enrolment (live streaming and face-to-face courses only)
- Online – Fill the online form to enrol in the course(s) of your choice (read about security).
- By telephone – Call Louise Macdonald's millinery studio (03 9650 1352).
Refund and cancellation policy
Live streaming courses
- Cancellations within 14 days of the course commencement date are entitled to a 50% refund.
- No refund will be provided within 14 days of the course commencement date. Students who are unable to attend the millinery course or part thereof, due to illness, personal or professional commitments or issues, are not entitled to refunds or transfers.
- Cancellations up to 1 (one) month from the start of the course are subject to a $20 fee.
- Cancellations less than 1 (one) month before the start of the millinery course will be subject to cancellation fee of 50% of the cost of the course, unless a replacement student is found. If a replacement student is found, the $20 cancellation fee will apply.
- Students who are unable to attend the millinery course or part thereof, due to illness, personal or professional commitments or issues, are not entitled to refunds or transfers.
Enquiries – Contact Louise Macdonald Milliner
Facebook – Join other millinery students on Facebook
share this content: